The Ecosteno is an entry-level hobbyist stenography keyboard designed for use with Plover, an open-source stenography engine (part of the Open Steno Project).
Featuring Kailh Pro Pink linear switches at 20 gram-force (about 20cN) actuation, the Ecosteno offers a light touch desirable for lengthy dictations yet heavy enough to be comfortable for beginner stenographers switching from mechanical keyboards. The switches can be spring-swapped for a lighter (or heavier) touch.
If your international shipping rate seems unusually high, contact us and we’ll see what we can do! Generally, USPS is significantly cheaper, but often gets lost in transit for 1+ months while DHL can deliver in as little as 3 days.
We also have extra USB cables if you would like one, as well as the Multisteno if you would like some extra keys!
- Pinout changed to match the Multisteno – be sure to use v1.1.x firmware!
- Mounting holes shifted to be closer to edge – backplates are different!
- Switches changed to Kailh Pro Pink switches (only a color change)
- Added ground plane for better ESD protection
- Slight changes to component selection and footprints
- Changed the microcontroller to the GD32F103C8T6 on all early 1.0.20 boards due to shortages (functionally identical)
- Steno serial protocol changed from TX Bolt to Gemini PR (you can still flash TX Bolt firmware if you would prefer)
- Backplates are now laser-cut 5052 aluminium instead of hand-drilled 6061 aluminium
- Decreased red LED brightness to match green LED
- Added boot 0 switch for easier manufacturing (shouldn’t be touched unless you know what you’re doing)
- Initial Release
- USB-C connectivity (center top edge of keyboard)
- 20gf linear switches (Kailh Pro Pink)
- 32 keys with 4-segment number bar, split S-, and quad *
- 1/4-20 camera mount
- 1/8″ thick aluminum backplate w/ rubber feet
- 4×10″ footprint, <1″ height
- Gemini PR protocol, NKRO steno, Qwerty mode, and Symbol layers
- 2 indicator LEDs (red & green)
- Reset button for easy reflashing
- Powered by QMK on GD32F103C8T6
- Lead-free construction
What’s in the box:
- 1x Ecosteno keyboard
- Optional: Add a Cable (USB-C to USB-A) or (USB-C to USB-C)
Once you plug it in for the first time, Windows will take a few seconds to a minute to automatically install the drivers. During this period, the keyboard may not function correctly.
After this process is complete, it is recommended to unplug and replug the keyboard at least once. Then you should be good to go!
Plover Serial Port Configuration
v1.0.19 and newer: Gemini PR protocol (9600 baud rate, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, and parity N).
Pre-v1.0.19: Standard TX Bolt protocol (9600 baud rate, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, and parity N).
We’ve currently only been able to test on Windows 10 machines, but so far every customer that has tried on Linux and Mac has had it work just fine!
Here’s a quick video going over the general use of the Ecosteno (pre-v1.0.19).
For v1.0.19 and later, select Gemini PR instead of TX Bolt in “Stenotype Machine”.
Every Ecosteno is made by hand in our workshop,
and as such may contain variation from board
to board such as scratches on the backplate
and other minor cosmetic imperfections.
Firmware available here: https://github.com/nkotech/EcoSteno-Firmware/tree/main/keyboards/noll/ecosteno
There are no reviews yet.